Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center – Atlantic (Charleston, SC)
- You must be a U.S. citizen. No Dual Citizens will be considered for this facility.
- You must be at least 17 years of age on the day you check in.
SPAWAR Systems Center Atlantic (SSC-LANT), Charleston SC is looking for bright, motivated young men and women, 17 years and older and U.S. citizens who have an interest in engineering, math, physics, and science. We realize that you may not as yet have an affinity toward a particular research area and that is fine; however, if you do, let us know and we will try to accommodate you. There will be many more applications from qualified young men and women than there are positions, so don’t be disappointed if you do not get selected; it is not a reflection on your potential. Simply try again next year!
SSC-LANT is a Department of the Navy organization providing engineered systems and technologies for Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance (C4ISR), Information Technology (IT), Information Operations (IO), Information Assurance (IA), Business IT, Enterprise Information Services (EIS) and Space Systems. We meet our nation’s demands for uninterrupted vigilance, fail-safe cyber security, adaptive response and engineering excellence by delivering secure, integrated, and innovative solutions to many Naval, Joint and National agencies.
We are a project driven organization that leverages science, technology, systems, and platforms to deliver warfighter defined capability. The areas of potential interest include but are not limited to the following:
• Air Traffic Control (ATC) Engineering & Technical Services
• Anti-Terrorism & Force Protection
• Command & Control Systems and Technologies
• Command Center Design and Technologies
• Communications methods, technologies, and systems
• Cryptologic & Intelligence
• Cyberspace & Cyber warfare
• Data Operations Center Monitoring
• Expeditionary C4I Systems
• Information Assurance to include Physical, Computer, and Network Security
• Modeling & Simulation application and technologies
• Navigation Systems
• Network Systems & Support
• Sensor Systems
• Shared Services Environment
• Software Engineering & Application Development & Maintenance
• Visual Information Systems
• Wireless Technologies
What Will I Do at SSC-Atlantic?
As part of the NREIP (Naval Research Enterprise Intern Program) experience, students at SSC-LANT are required to complete a project and/or experiment under the guidance of their mentor based on the mentor’s research/systems engineering focus and the interest of the student. Upon the project’s completion, the students will prepare a short presentation of his/her findings to other students, mentors, and SSC-Atlantic engineers and scientists during the last few weeks of the internship.
During the NREIP program at SSC-Atlantic, students visit other technical competencies and labs, attend seminars presented by engineers and scientists and participate in student working lunches with other SSC-LANT interns.
A typical day may include any or all of the following:
- meeting with your mentor
- working on your project/experiment
- professional development
- having lunch with other students
- touring another laboratory or team area at SSC-Atlantic
- assisting your mentor with his/her project/experiment
- visiting another student’s lab to assist in his/her project/experiment
- attending a seminar or technical meeting
Keisha Williams; firstname.lastname@example.org; 843-218-5724