NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL (Monterey, CA)
Start Date: TBD
Only U.S. citizens will be considered for positions at this Institution. No permanent residents will be considered.
Please consider the difficulty of locating short-term housing if applying from out of the Monterey area. We are unable to assist in housing or transportation search.
Students must be able to participate for the full program duration.
Students should have a major relevant to the research interests of the laboratories.
All appointments are contingent on security approval.
The Naval Postgraduate School (NPS), located in Monterey, California, provides graduate education to military officers of the uniformed services, Department of Defense civilians, Department of Defense prime contractors and members of the international community. In conjunction with the primary mission of graduate education, NPS faculty members are leaders in basic and applied research. At NPS summer interns will work side-by-side with faculty, post-doctoral fellows and graduate students. 2018 projects have not been identified yet, but the possibilities would come from the following disciplines:
• Applied Mathematics (Applied Analysis; Discrete Mathematics: Numerical Analysis/Scientific Computation)
• Business and Public Policy
• Cyber Academic Group (Research in cyber systems and operations from a system of systems, mission-based perspective. Research toward US Cyber Command's defined lines of operations: DoD Information Network Operations, Defensive Cyber Operations, and Offensive Cyber Operations.)
• Computer Sciences
• Defense Analysis (Special Operations; Irregular Warfare (includes terrorism, counter-insurgency, and unconventional warfare; Information Operations; Defense and Foreign Policy)
• Electrical and Computer Engineering
1. Communications and Signal Processing
2. Electric Power and Control
3. Network Engineering
4. Sensor Systems Engineering
5. Computers and Microelectronics
• Global Public Policy (Globalization and Security; Social science research on human behavior, finance, energy, health, and climate change)
• Information Sciences
• Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
1. Fluid Dynamics, Heat Transfer, and Turbomachinery
2. Combustion, Energy Systems, Alternate and Synthetic Fuels. Pulse Detonation Engines
3. Rotordynamics and Fluid-Structure Interactions
4. Dynamic Systems, Controls, and Robotics; Autonomous Systems, Unmanned Systems, Guidance and Control, and Space Robotics
5. Solid Mechanics, Vibrations, Structures; Computational Mechanics, and Ship Shock, Design, and Optimization
6. Materials Science and Engineering; Nanostructures, Energy storage materials, Armor, Friction Stir Processing and Welding
7. Space-Systems, Adaptive Optics, Astrodynamic Optimization
8. Total Ship Systems Engineering
• Meteorology (Synoptic, Mesoscale, and Coastal Meteorology; Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP); Environmental Analysis and Visualization; Air-Sea Interactions; Satellite and Ground-Based Remote Sensing; Tropical Meteorology; Tropical Cyclone Motion; Boundary Layer Meteorology; Climate Dynamics; Atmospheric Factors in EM/EO Propagation; Polar Meteorology)
• National Security Affairs (Security studies; Homeland Security)
• Oceanography (Coastal ocean monitoring using autonomous and remote sensing instruments; Environmental acoustics; Expeditionary warfare applications in the surf zone; Observations of Arctic change; Numerical modeling)
• Operations Research
1. Optimization (capital budgeting, scheduling, logistics, network defense and attack, critical infrastructure protection, disaster response, resilient system design)
2. Statistics and Data Analysis (survey analysis, data farming, design of experiments, manpower and personnel management, biosurveillance)
3. Probability and Stochastic Processes (search and detection, naval tactical analysis, test and evaluation, warfare modeling)
4. Human Factors and Systems Integration
5. Cost Estimation
• Physics (Optical and Electromagnetic Signal Propagation and Detection; Weapons and Weapons Effects; Underwater Acoustics and Communications: Physical Acoustics; Free-Electron Laser Physics; Accelerator Physics; Railgun Technologies; Explosive Detonation Physics; Dynamic Materials Properties; MEMS-Based Sensors and Nanotechnologies; Novel Detector and Sensor Development; Autonomous Robotics; Remote Sensing; Radar Imaging, Non-Cooperative Target Recognition; Terahertz Radiation, Sources and Imaging; Physics of Networks; Quantum-Well Infrared Detectors; Quantum Cascade Lasers)
• Space Systems (Military Applications for Space: Space Reconnaissance and Remote Sensing; Radiation Hardened Electronics for Space; Design, Construction, and Launching of Small Satellites; Satellite Communications Systems; Military Space Systems and Architectures)
• Systems Engineering
1. Systems Engineering applied to: Combat Systems, Total Ship Systems, Network-Centric and Enterprise Systems, Energy Systems, Cognitive Systems.
2. Robotics: Autonomous Systems. Multi-Agent Robotics and Swarms. Aerial and Ground Robots. Field Experimentation, Robotic Algorithms for Planning and Perception.
3. Systems Science: System Requirements Analysis, Systems Modeling and Simulation, System Architecture, System Integration, Systems Reliability, Human-System Integration
4. High Energy Lasers (HEL) & Electro-Optics (EO): HEL/EO System Atmospheric Propagation Performance. HEL System Integration.
5. Space Situational Awareness
6. Combat Systems Survivability
• Undersea Warfare
The disciplines listed above are aligned in four graduate schools (International Graduate Studies, Business and Public Policy, Operational and Information Sciences, Science and Engineering). There are also three research and education institutes (Meyer Institute of Systems Engineering, Cebrowski Institute, and the Modeling Virtual Environments and Simulation Institute), and numerous education and research centers.
Summer interns could find at NPS an environment that will foster their creativity, help them develop a problem solving mindset, give them the opportunity to participate in publications/patents and provide them with the hands on experience that will make a difference in their careers.