Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center - Pacific (San Diego, CA)
Start Date: June 4, 2018 - August 10, 2018 & June 18, 2018 - August 24, 2018
- Must be a US citizen; neither Dual Citizens nor permanent residents will be considered for this facility.
- Must be enrolled at an institution accredited by the U.S. Department of Education
- *NEW: Students attending two-year colleges ARE eligible*
- Students must secure their own transportation and housing
- Students must be able to participate for the full program duration
- Applicants should have majors relevant to the research interests of the laboratories
- Students graduating in the spring are eligible to apply.
- Students are encouraged to take advantage of the "Interests" section of the application; this field allows you to specify your areas of interest within science and/or engineering
Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific (SSC Pacific), San Diego is looking for bright, motivated young men and women, who have an interest in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. We realize that you may not as yet have an affinity toward a particular research area; however, if you do, let us know and we will try to accommodate your interests. There will be many more applications from qualified young men and women than there are positions, so don't be disappointed if you do not get selected; it is not a reflection on your potential. Simply try again next year!
SSC Pacific is the Navy’s premier research, development, test, and evaluation (RDT&E) laboratory for command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (C4ISR). Our laboratory settings, test beds and simulated operational environments offer working environments unachievable elsewhere. We deliver integrated C4ISR solutions to our nation’s warfighters - integrating forces, platforms, and functions into coordinated operational capabilities. Programs in navigation and applied sciences, environmental quality technology and assessment, marine mammals, robotics and physical security complement our primary C4ISR focus. Our scientists and engineers rank among the nation’s best inventors, innovators, and integrators in a wide range of scientific disciplines. Our business is C4ISR; we provide the information technology resources essential to the U.S. warfighter in today's increasingly complex, increasingly hostile world. In the development of these technologies, we are contributing substantially to the achievement of the future vision of the Department of Defense and particularly of the Navy.
SSC Pacific maintains research programs pushing the state-of-the-art in such diverse fields as atmospheric physics, electro-optics, underwater acoustics, engineering psychology, signal propagation and processing, artificial intelligence, material sciences, microelectronics, chemical oceanography, environmental and biological sciences.
SSC Pacific formal leadership areas, assigned by the Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Research, Development and Acquisition:
- Command, control and communication systems
- Command, control and communication systems countermeasures
- Ocean surveillance systems
- Command, control and communication modeling and analysis
- Ocean engineering
- Navigation support
- Marine mammals
- Integration of space communication and surveillance
These leadership areas are supplemented and complemented by a set of technology areas in which the Center is significantly involved:
- Ocean and littoral surveillance
- Communications and networking
- Topside design/antennas
- Command systems
- Computer technology
- Navigation and aircraft Command, Control, and Communications (C3)
- Intelligence/surveillance/reconnaissance sensors
- Atmospheric effects assessment
- Environmental quality assessment
What will I do as a NREIP Intern? As part of the NREIP experiance, sudents are required to complete work on a project and/or experiament under the guidance of their mentor bases on the mentor's reseach/project focus; projects vary year to year. Students get to showcase their findings and results by developing and presenting a techinal poster. During the summer program, students also have the oppurtunity to participate in the following activites:
- Skill building seminars
- Teambuilding workshops
- Technical seminars
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) volunteer opportunities
- Network with other interns and STEM professionals
Summer interns are provided with an environment that will foster their creativity, help them develop a problem solving mindset, and give them the opportunity to participate in meaningful technical research. Additionally, they will gain experience in a professional workplace that specializes in STEM careers.
If you have any other questions/concerns, please contact SSC Pacific’s Lab Coordinator, Ms. Kathleen Gately Miranda at email@example.com or (619)-767-4156.