Description of NREIP
This ten-week intern program is designed to provide opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to participate in research, under the guidance of an appropriate research mentor, at a participating Navy laboratory.
NREIP interns will be selected based upon academic achievement, personal statements, recommendation, and career & research interests.
Award duration and stipend
The internship has a duration of 10 weeks. Stipend levels will be determined by the amount of credit hours you possess and stipends will range from $5,400 to $10,800. Stipends will be paid bi-weekly via direct deposit.
- Level 1 ($5,400): 31 - 60 credit hours.
- Level 2 ($8,100): 61 or greater credit hours.
- Level 3 ($10,800): Proof of enrollment in graduate school.
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens. Permanent Residents and Dual Citizens may be accepted at a few labs. Please consult the lab's page to be certain.
- Students graduating in the Spring 2017 semester are eligible to apply. If you expect to graduate by Fall 2016, unfortunately, you are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be on track to acquired a minimum of 31 credit by the end of Spring 2017. Eligibility will be determined by the number of credits you possess at the end of Spring 2017.
- Applicants should have majors relevant to the research interests of the laboratories.
- Students attending two-year colleges, who meet the major and credit requirements, may be eligible at the laboratory's discretion. Please contact the laboratory you are interested in participating with directly to find out if you meet their requirements, as they may vary.
The last day to submit an application will be November 30, 2016 at 6:00 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST). References and transcripts are due on November 30, 2016 at 6:00 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST).
Awardees as well as Non-Awardees for the Summer 2017 NREIP Program will be notified in February.
Research Start Dates
Start Dates will vary based upon the lab. The earliest anyone can start at a lab is the second week in May.